Monday, November 22, 2010

Silly hen pt2

At 5:00 this morning its amear 5 degrees above and I wondering about the hen in the tree.  You know, the one that decided she would rather camp out in the pine tree rather than walk on the snow to get into the coop.  Did she survive the cold?  Will I need to climb the tree to get her down?  Well, at 6 the lights in the coop come on automatically and I will go out to do my morning routine.  As Gurl and I stepped out the front door we were welcome by a blast of cold air! We rounded the corner of the house heading for the coop, suddenly a large dark figure flew up from the ground under the pine and headed to the roof of the salt block shed.  I knew immediate what it was and what it meant.  Gurl on the other hand was off after the big bird and chased it into the woods.  Good Gurl!  The large figure was a Great Horned Owl, which came for breakfast of chicken. Can't blame the owl much, they need to eat to survive too, however there can feed elsewhere. I am down to ten layers now and a rooster!

1 comment:

  1. WOW! I knew they would take on rabbits and stuff but I didn't realize chicken was on their menu. Poor hen... sorry you lost another one. =(

    ReplyDelete