Friday, November 26, 2010

Our winter friends!

American Goldfinch
I was left to myself today and had no desire to go into town on black Friday, so after chores I set a tripod, cleaned the camera lenses, washed the bay windows, and then got ready to snap a few new images of the wild birds that hang around for the winter. Right outside the bay window I have set up a feeder made of a fence post, a 2x4 box with hardware cloth bottom.  The hardware cloth allows the rain to past through without damaging the seed for the birds.  Now, I have been snapping photo of wildlife for years as an amateur, of which most shots are at close range due the price of zoom lenses.  Today, I am using a 55-200mm lens on a Nikon D40.  The subjects, birds, will be about ten feet away. I am letting the camera handle all the settings, will I handle the shutter button and focus. We have a number of birds that over winter here at Prairie Home, of which the Black-capped Chickadee seem to be the most common.  For most of the day there was a steady stream of blurs coming and going from the feeder; Blue Jays, American Goldfinch, Dark-eyed Junco, Downy and Hairy Woodpeckers, Chickadee and even a quick visit by a Pileated Woodpecker. I've always enjoyed being in the outdoors, being around wildlife and yes hunting them.  I also enjoy taking photos and sharing them.  To see more images visit my Flickr site and please let me know what you think.

2 comments:

  1. I think you used your time most wisely, and we all benefit from the lovely results.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bill,
    GREAT PICTURES!!! You should submit them to the FreshWater Society for the calendar!! They use mostly water related shots, but I bet there is some other organization you can submit to for calendars too. You do great work.
    Oh, and if you want a calendar from the FreshWater Society, let me know, my kids are selling them for 4-H. :)
    They have great info for people who like to hunt and fish in MN.
    I am also a photography enthusiast. I would love to get out and do more photography. Maybe when i get my chickens all settled and my kids are a little older that I can take off I will have that chance.
    Please, continue to share. I love seeing stuff like yours.
    Theri

    ReplyDelete