Sunday, June 26, 2011

Up high in the rafters!

Mother hen and 13 chicks!
Tonight, after herding the geese back to their corral, I went into the coop to get a head count which I do every night prior to closing all the doors.  This evening as I looked up into the roosting rafters I was to find a pleasant surprised.  Mother hen and her clutch of thirteen chicks, which are only a few weeks old, are on the roosting rafters too.  So surprised, I ran back into the house to get the camera.  Ok! Ok!  But, I did walk with a purpose.  So, here sits the hen and her chicks on a  rafter that's at least 7.5 feet off the ground and at least 3.5 feet away from another rafter. Would have loved to see how they got there, maybe tomorrow night.  Normally, the hen has a corner on the floor she likes to nest in for the night and all the chicks disappear under her wings.  But, not tonight!  They roost with the flock up high in the rafters.


I hope you enjoy the picture of the family roosting together this night, high above the floor!


My glimpse of the family roosting!


Another view of Mother hen and family!

Mother hen and family Jun 8th!

A different group of chicks, just a week older!

2 comments:

  1. That was awesome. I can understand how mama could fly that high but wonder how chicks got there. -Estelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like a pain to roost like that all together. Would be interested in the journey up there too... let me know what you find out!

    ReplyDelete