Sunday, March 27, 2011

Signs of Spring!

Signs of spring are slowly making the presence known to us here on the northern prairie.  The wild geese are starting to return.  Just small flocks at the moment, but soon enough their numbers with increase.  The Ruffed grouse are starting to drum on the logs.  I always thought they sounded like an old Johnny Popper, off in the distance, trying to start.  The Chickadees are calling fee beee, its their mating call.  The Buff gander, whom I call Bubba, is the only goose that I know of that will try to hump your leg like a dog would, and he tries each time I am in the yard.  And the snow is pulling back it's cover allowing the fawn brown color of earth and grass to shine through, which will soon enough turn green.  This morning, I spotted a night crawler for the first time this year, it was suspended in a sump pump discharge pool east of the house.  Spring is coming, but it lacks any speed!

1 comment:

  1. You have a wonderful way with words, Bill. I love reading you!!

    ReplyDelete