Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Skeeter barrier

First off, let me say that I am only reporting on this product.  After hours of research online and chatting with folks I found that there are many many different products on the market, with many different claims of effectiveness.  All promising the ability to rid your yard or property of skeeters.  Some are Eco-friendly and many are not.  Since we have chickens, geese, guineas, cats and a dog, I wanted something that wouldn't harm them or us!  I came across Mosquito Barrier a week ago and after reading its bio and comments, I decided to order a small quantity to try it out.  The quart is the smallest amount bottled for shipping that I found. 

I received the bottle yesterday via the friendly guys/gals in brown shorts.  Don't go there!  They have brown shirts too!  Reading the recommended amount for one gallon, I shook the bottle vigorously before pouring one (1) ounce into a gallon pump spray bottle.  Now, upon opening this bottle, a slight odor of garlic/onion smell, but it wasn't too bad.   I decided to spray just two small areas on our property for testing and leaving the rest alone. 

The first area was behind the chicken coop where the edge of forest hosted my hiding places for these blood sucking vermin.  I sprayed the liquid high and low, covering as much area as I could.   The second area to spray was near our fire pit, which we enjoy using, but since the skeeters decided to join us, we haven't used it much.  Please keep in mind, I am still working off of the initial mixture.  Again, spraying  high and low I covered the area.  Yes, there was a smell of garlic in the air as I was spraying, but again it wasn't too bad.  Matter of fact, after eating some garden onions just the other day, I thought that odor was stronger and Trish could back me on that one.  Oh, by the way I did the spraying on a clear dry day, around 5:30pm.

The test!  After a few hours I re-entered the areas I sprayed with the Mosquito Barrier.  The first area was, again, behind the chicken coop.  As I entered the area I noticed NO smell of garlic. So, as promised the odor does dissipate after about 20 minutes. Even better, I  noticed NO skitters.  OK, there was one or two, but not the hordes that were present a few hours earlier.  The skeeters are so bad here, that my arms will actually get covered like some old skeeter TV ads from old.  The second area was the fire pit part of the yard, which is right next to a wide open field that hasn't been cut, so there are plenty of wait places there.  Again, no garlic smell and no skeeters to speak of.   Yes, there was the one or two flying about, but no hordes.  I can put up with the one, two or three skeeters, but I can't handle the lofty feeling I get when I have no skeeter protection on at all.

This morning I again entered these area and found pretty much the same results;  just a few skeeters.  I entered others parts of the yard that hasn't been treated and the skeeters were plentiful.  Some actually seemed a bit angry at the lose of territory.  I will continue monitoring and reporting my finding over this next week or so.

Some details from the company;

Each quart covers 1.25 acres, which is usually enough for a couple applications on smaller residential properties.  This product is 99.3% pure garlic extract.

A mosquito's sense of smell is about 10,000 times better than yours and they are able to locate humans because they detect the carbon dioxide given off by us. Mosquito Barrier masks the carbon dioxide odor. If they can't find you, they can't bite you and they seek nourishment elsewhere. Another important fact to remember is that mosquitoes are also attracted to bright lights - as are a lot of other early evening or nighttime bugs. No matter what stands between them and the light - they don't care - they go right for the lights. It's always a good idea to turn down the lights in the evening to reduce your chances of being bitten by mosquitoes.

What I have into this test so far!

One quart of Mosquito Barrier @ $22.50
Shipping @ $7.50
One Spray bottle 1gal  @ $10.00 (bought locally)

1 comment:

  1. Interesting, Verrrry Interesting. I look forward to your continued testing.

    ReplyDelete